Tuesday, December 12, 2017

When We Lose (Part 2)

When We Lose (Part 2)

My whistleblowing began in July 2013 when I disclosed government overbilling by HomeFirst Services of Santa Clara County.  After more disclosures, I was fired in June 2014.  My project ended in November 2017 when the State of California decided I was not a whistleblower at all.

When big-time players are denounced as not really whistleblowers, we know better.  Some called Edward Snowden nothing more than a traitor, but that was silly.  The same goes for calling Chelsea Manning just a traitor.  When little guys like me are denied the whistleblower title, it’s harder for others to judge.

California’s Labor Commissioner decides against most people who complain they were fired because they disclosed wrongdoing.  My public records request for copies of the 158 determination letters issued in 2015 yielded 100 actual letters.  Of those, 80 favored the employers.

From this lot, some arguments siding with employers seem stretched.  For example, letters written to five fired welders[1] at Newton, Inc. (dba Newtron Electric) acknowledged safety issues they raised.  The company was not prepared for the welders it hired, the Commissioner allowed.  There wasn’t enough safety equipment.  Welding hoods were not fitted.  Their foreman didn’t know much about welding.  There were problems with scaffold adjustments; on-site welding procedures were missing; and inappropriate staff were hired for electrical welding.  The employees raised concerns to management.  OSHA complaints were made, but ineffectively.

The State felt Newton knew about the problems and tried to fix them.  Surely it wasn’t in Newton’s interest to fire welders without good reason, it presumed.  Most likely Newton had fired them for poor performance, as Newton asserted.  Maybe the logic made sense to some.

Mostly, though, the determination letters present plausible explanations supporting the employers.  My letter did that pretty effectively: I was rude and could not or would not do my job.  True or not.  Raymond Gomez’s hours were cut not because he complained about being short-paid but because of a reorganization.  Marvin Gilbert was not really fired by his security company employer because he called the fire department about a possible violation.  He was fired at the request of the security company’s client who didn’t appreciate the call.

When a decision is made against us, our whistleblower status is thrown into doubt.  The Labor Commissioner’s office determined I wasn’t one because I lacked a good faith belief that I was disclosing violations.  Wisconsin’s Supreme Court ruled that Joell Schigur was no whistleblower since her bosses knew about the potential violation.  A jury decided that Jason Blasdell, a former SpaceX employee, never had any reasonably-based suspicion that SpaceX violated a law.  The State Bar of California won over its former executive director Joe Dunn.  He failed to specify which laws had been violated, so he was never a whistleblower, either.  Natasha Henderson’s disclosure of suspected corruption by the Flint (MI) mayor didn’t make her a whistleblower because she was acting as a city employee.  Schigur was demoted, and the other three were fired.

We can spend years on our whistleblower projects.  They come to define a big chunk of our lives.  Then it ends not just in defeat but in denial that we ever were what we supposed.

After the first few months following my termination, I did not talk much about my whistleblowing.  Except for family, most people who remembered my claim at all probably figured I had moved on.  They were not aware how stuck on it I was.  I was embarrassed by my obsession.

The violations we disclose are often very technical.  Only someone with the right background and access to relevant documents can figure if we are correct in our claims.  It’s even more difficult for others to evaluate why we were fired or demoted.  They rely on authorities to investigate and decide.  But authorities rule against most of us.  Then, on what basis can we still claim our allegations were true and we were retaliated against?  On what basis can we claim we were whistleblowers at all?

At least publicly, we must eventually admit our project is ended.  Our dream of a whistleblower’s victory is dead.  We follow a different grieving course from those who grieve the death of a loved one.  Our loss is not as great; that is clear.  Our time of denial, anger, and bargaining is long past.  After investing years into our project, deflation and maybe depression may follow.  But acceptance is difficult, at least for me now.

I can accept that my whistleblower complaint is dead.  There’s no forum where I can press it further.  Accepting the world revealed by my project, though, I cannot accept.  Not that nonprofits generally depend on deceit and shading the facts of their performance.  Not that government agencies chartered with managing nonprofit contracts willfully abandon their responsibilities.  Not that we are unable to rely on auditors and oversight agencies to find and correct misbehavior.  Not that the premise of social cooperation and support falls so far short.

Some big-name whistleblowers persist.  They do not accept.  They call out continuing wrongs.  People like Daniel Ellsberg, Edward Snowden, and Chelsea Manning earned a platform, and they use it.  Small-time folks like me and millions of others have no such platform.  Each time we object, we start again from the beginning.

Let us do that.



No comments:

Post a Comment