Monday, February 29, 2016

2nd Issue: State of California Licensing Requirement (Part 2)

2nd Issue:  State of California Licensing Requirement (Part 2)

In October 2013, I wrote confidentially to the Chair of the Audit Committee that comments by CEO Jenny and the Board Chair violated the company’s whistleblower policy and that the company was not moving fast enough on the licensing issue.  He and the Board Chair replied that the Board was acting appropriately to resolve the licensing question.

In November, the Executive Committee of the Board decided that Jenny and three Board members would seek an informal consult with an attorney on the issue.  Cutting me out of the process and making the meeting informal seemed to me tactics to delay action further.  I mailed my complaint letter to CCL that night.  My first external whistleblowing increased the stakes by disclosing information to a potentially powerful third party about whom I knew little.  The complaint might be disregarded, or CCL might bang on the BRC doors the next day. 

Two months passed without a response.  The CCL website said not to bother following up on complaints.  Then the letter was returned, rejected by addressee for insufficient postage.  I mailed it again, this time with more postage.  Two weeks passed, and I called to confirm receipt.  The guy who answered found no record of the letter, and I emailed it to him, nearly six months after I first raised the issue. 

Still, the Board had done little to obtain its informal consult.  The Vice-Chair of the Board, who decided that my list of attorneys was not adequate and agreed to locate a suitable attorney, had made no progress in her search.  During the week following CCL’s visit to BRC in February, Jenny finally arranged pro bono legal assistance from a large San Francisco law firm.

When I blew the whistle to CCL, I presumed to benefit the public interest[1].   Here, the public members to be protected were the clients who resided at the site.  By some ethical standards, I needed to be confident of the accuracy of my claim, but that is not always easily done.  The licensing requirement was determined by “care and supervision,” which called for expert understanding that I and the Program Officer may have lacked.

As an employee and company officer, I had legal and ethical obligations to my colleagues.  I could minimize my breach of company loyalty by first exploring internal avenues for change.  But figuring whether anyone’s use of internal channels is adequate can be difficult because the company’s response to a whistleblower might be disingenuous.  The fact that six months after I raised the issue no attorney had been identified for the consultation seemed to confirm the Board’s tepid commitment to resolving the question, but perhaps other issues legitimately competed for attention.  Perhaps I should have objected internally about the delay, too, but the prospect of endless rounds of internal study and response made external disclosure seem to me right despite the potential consequences.

Those obligations and loyalty to company and co-workers may be trumped by higher loyalties, such as to professional standards[2].  And the whole company loyalty thing may be rejected on its face[3].  Loyalty may be just attractive management technique[4] in an age of at-will employment.

Another ethical test for my whistleblowing might be whether harm to the public from the wrong is serious and exceeds the company’s injury from the disclosure[5].  By this standard, few acts, and certainly not this potential licensing violation, deserve being called out by a whistleblower.  Key to this test, however, is an assumption that the whistleblowing would harm the employer to whom he should be loyal.  Jenny claimed that my whistleblowing would cause terrible damage, but that was unproven at the time and was eventually disproven.

To overcome possible biases, the whistleblower might owe everyone involved exposure of the facts to an objective party prior to disclosure.  But obtaining an objective opinion prior to disclosure can be difficult and expensive to obtain.  Prior to mailing my complaint, I described the circumstances to three out-of-the-area attorneys.  None of them replied.  In the end, I was left to make the decision on my own.

The day after the CCL visit, Jenny called me on a speaker phone – she never called me on a speaker phone – and asked whether I had anything to say about the visit.  Nope.  At the next Board meeting, she discussed the visit and said that whoever contacted CCL – a quick, sharp look at me – did not understand what he was doing.  At the end of March I admitted to having contacted CCL.  Jenny forwarded my email to the Board Chair, who replied, “no surprise.”  My complaint was anonymous, but they knew.

After their monitoring visit, the CCL staff determined that the BRC had provided “care and supervision” in violation of regulations.  They decided, however, that HomeFirst’s vital services to the community satisfied CCL’s “urgent need” definition.  As a result, BRC could stay in operation on a temporary basis while we proposed program changes to avoid future violation of the regulations.  Meanwhile, the CCL staff in San Jose discussed the matter with their superiors and political staff in Sacramento because of the decision’s potential statewide impact.  In June 2014, CCL advised HomeFirst that the complaint was “unfounded” following its program changes.  Everything was fine, except that by then I had lost my job.

The BRC licensing violation offers some additional lessons to the whistleblower:

11.       It can be difficult to determine whether an act is truly illegal or unethical and worthy of disclosure.
22.       Distinguishing legitimate justifications from illegitimate rationalizations for allegedly wrongful actions can be difficult.
33.       No less difficult is it to decide when inaction, caused by lengthy study, slides over into evasion of corrective action.
44.       The whistleblower must wrestle with questions concerning to whom and under what circumstances he or she will be loyal.
55.       Political perceptions of the significance of the violation and the consequences of disciplining a misbehaver may ultimately overwhelm the question whether an act is wrong.




[1] Bok, Sisella. “Whistleblowing and Professional Responsibility.” New York University Education Quarterly 11.4 (1980): 2-10
[2] Vandekerkhove, Wim and M.S. Ronald Commers.  Whistleblowing and Organizational Social Responsibility. Aldershot, Hampshire, England: Ashgate Publishing Company. 2006
[3] Duska, Ronald. “Whistleblowing and Employee Loyalty.” In Contemporary Issues in Business Ethics. DesJardins, Joseph R. and John J. McCall (eds.) Belmont, California: Wadsworth Publishing Company. 1985
[5] De George, Richard T.  Business Ethics.  7th edition.  Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson Education.  2009

No comments:

Post a Comment