Thursday, March 10, 2016

8th Issue: Food Handler Cards – A Failure of Culture

8th Issue: Food Handler Cards – A Failure of Culture

Some compliance violations are so small and easily fixed that there is no reason to consider them particularly worthy of whistleblowing.  But when small problems go unresolved, they can reflect a systemic illness in the company’s culture.

Beginning in January 2012, the State of California required that people who handle food at most food service facilities hold a State-issued Food Handler Card, which could be obtained after successfully completing a brief on-line course on basic food safety and paying the small fee.  Two compliance questions faced HomeFirst: (a) was its shelter a food service facility covered by the law and (b) who among the employees, clients, and volunteers working in the shelter kitchen were required to obtain Food Handler Cards?

At the end of February 2014, I planned a quick review of the shelter kitchen compliance.  As I researched the legal basis for the TB testing that we required of our kitchen workers, I discovered the Food Handler Card requirement.  My conversation with a Santa Clara County food inspector confirmed that we violated the rule because none of our workers had the card.  I described to the Chief Program Officer my understanding that some volunteers and a group of clients that worked in the kitchen must have the cards.  Half-kidding, she told me to stop finding problems.  Then, more seriously, she claimed that the requirement would overload our volunteer manager and could reduce contributions, replaying the argument against licensing the shelter that our CEO Jenny had made six months earlier: convenience trumped concerns over legality.  I wrote up my usual internal report recommending corrective actions.

During a contentious May Finance Committee meeting on compliance, I realized that I had no updated information on this particular violation.  After the meeting, I visited the shelter to check on documentation and found that most kitchen workers still did not have Food Handler Cards.  We still violated the law.  When Jenny learned of my follow-up visit from the site manager, she described surprise compliance visits as unacceptable.  I complained to the Audit Chair that Jenny was violating our whistleblowing policy, but he would take no position on the matter.  The next day Jenny wrote up a reprimand that referred to my improper shelter visit.

Corporate culture can overwhelm even a robust compliance program like HomeFirst’s[1].  This case touched on the company’s code of ethics, its contract compliance program, and its Audit and Finance Committees which were charged with overseeing the compliance program.  I had not made much of the violation when I first identified it; it was not major, and I expected it to be corrected promptly.  After management’s failure to correct the problem, all the other violations, the disclosures I had made, the push-back I had received, and the responses from Jenny and the Audit Chair to this issue, I decided that more than an isolated violation was involved.

A week later on the morning of the day I was fired, I called in my complaint to the County Department of Environmental Health.  The department’s website indicated that complaints could be made only by voice message.  A week later, after receiving no response to my call, I filed a public records request.  The department replied that they had no record of my complaint.  The day after I provided additional information, the department interviewed the shelter manager, who told them that everything was in order or would be soon.  The department’s report concluded that they found no major violations.

The absence of food handler cards represented the least financially serious of the violations I disclosed and one so trivial that Bok and de George could see no justification for a whistleblower’s disloyalty.  The enforcement process possibly worked as well as it could, given the County’s limited resources and the nearly 8,000 restaurants it had to police.  While a persnickety whistleblower might trouble over the shelter manager’s representation of correction, the company’s eventual attempt to comply with the law may well have qualified as “good enough” even if it fell short at the time I rediscovered the problem and was fired.

After all of the compliance issues I had pressed, perhaps both Jenny and I were primed to overreact.  Or perhaps the issue was not a particular violation but a way of doing business, and our responses were consistent with our roles.

Lesson for the whistleblower: a complaint to authorities necessarily addresses a specific legal violation, but the real problem needing correction may be cultural and reflected in multiple violations, some of which may seem immaterial in themselves.


No comments:

Post a Comment