Saturday, March 19, 2016

Retaliation – The Final Steps to Termination (Part 3)

Retaliation – The Final Steps to Termination (Part 3)

HomeFirst’s case against me evolved during 2013 and 2014.  In May and June of 2013, I was an irritant to CEO Jenny because of my repeated references to financial losses and my insistence that significant operational changes were necessary.  In August 2013 I offended the Board Chair when I challenged her “no red flag” comment (1st Issue), and Jenny aligned herself with the Chair as co-Mike-sufferers.  But something else was still necessary to justify firing me.

On March 18, 2014 Chief Program Officer Hilary sent an email to the rest of senior management – Jenny,  the Development Officer, and me  – complaining that my recent analyses were excessively critical of Development and Programs.  I clearly had little respect and esteem for the rest of the team, she said, and little concern for the success of the agency.  The negative culture within our group would eventually seep into the rest of the organization.  Jenny passed the email to the CEO of a major supporting foundation, and he congratulated her on the gift.  He encouraged her to write me up, every day if necessary. 

At our March 24 meeting, Jenny thanked Hilary for her honest email.  Hilary cried, said it was not a “Mike problem,” and admitted that she had failed at her own performance reporting.  The Development Officer said the problem was less my reports than her and Hilary’s ability to respond.  Jenny was unmoved.  The meeting petered out without a clear victory for anyone.

On Tuesday morning, March 25, I wrote to Jenny that during the prior day’s meeting we had not discussed the most pressing problem, other than running out of money: the many, significant compliance problems.  And, by the way, I had disclosed the residential licensing (2nd Issue) and bid collusion (4th Issue) problems to authorities.  That set things off.

Thirteen minutes later the Chair told Jenny that she was not surprised.  By that afternoon Jenny and the Executive Committee of the Board had decided to meet with me to discuss my concerns.  The Chair told them that she would talk to a company attorney the next morning.  That evening one Board member on the team argued that I had been insubordinate and had disobeyed the Chair’s order to let them handle problems; Jenny replied, thanks.

On Wednesday morning, the Chair distributed notes from her conversation with the attorney: I had evidently taken a “Whistleblower 101” class; they should fire me immediately because things would only get worse, and I would continue to sabotage the company; if I reneged on my plan to retire, the risk would increase significantly; he recommended paying me through the end of the year.  Jenny and the Board Treasurer began contacting possible interim CFOs.

That afternoon, the Chair told the attorney that everyone was in favor of firing me immediately based on insubordination.  She asked if they should meet with me in order to demonstrate their due diligence on compliance matters.  He replied that it was better to give no reason for the termination; in any case, they were in trouble on a whistleblower claim.  Meeting with me would just make things worse, he said.  That evening the Treasurer and the former Chair argued that unwillingness to be a constructive team member, not insubordination, was the best reason for termination.  Still later that evening, two members with large company experience suggested it would be unusual to rush into the termination; Jenny emailed the Chair asking for help getting the group back on track.

Thursday morning, Jenny told the Chair and Treasurer that she had been planning to terminate me based on my tone and manner, but the whistleblower disclosures had pushed her to move faster.  She told the group my salary and benefits costs and confirmed that insurance could cover everything.  At the end of the day, one member pressed that they needed to resolve this untenable working relationship with me as soon as possible. 

Within three days of my admission to being a whistleblower, Jenny and the team had decided to eliminate me but details still had to be agreed.  Timing was one concern.  Most were eager or at least open to move quickly; two favored taking longer.  The attorney argued repeatedly for prompt action so that they stayed in control of the situation, and he figured that my whistleblower claim would not get much weaker with time.  Jenny assured the Board that she and the Program Officer were responding to the compliance problems; that my possible sabotage would be controlled.  In the meantime, she and the Treasurer continued the search for an interim CFO to replace me when needed.

Risks accompanied a quick termination approach: the end of the fiscal year was approaching, my financial staff was small, and I created analyses and numerous entries to close the books and prepare for the audit fieldwork that would begin in the first week of August.  But a quick termination offered benefits as well.  I had discomforted Jenny and the Audit Committee a year earlier when I hesitated to sign the management representation letter without disclosure of the residential licensing problem.  They could suppose that I had several items I would want to review with the auditors before signing the 2014 letter.  Firing me before the audit could move those awkward discussions off the table.

The reason for termination was a second concern.  Initially the participants responded enthusiastically to insubordination as the reason, but the attorney was firmly against that basis because it was vulnerable to a whistleblower retaliation claim.  He also advised against Jenny’s suggestion of my “poor tone and language” because that, too, could be tied to retaliation.  Jenny was confident that she could amass evidence of my failure to perform my job.  She had started that accumulation in a special email folder, and it would expand in time.

The third concern was severance.  The attorney advised a negotiated severance agreement.  The cost would increase if I withdrew my plan to retire, he thought, but if they moved quickly it could be managed.  But HomeFirst’s cash was low and projected to get perilously low in the coming months.  It would be dangerous to make a payment that the attorney thought reasonable.  Bounteous insurance coverage, though, made the distasteful task of negotiating with me unnecessary.  It would be easier just to let the insurance policy handle the matter.

The Board members talked among themselves, with Jenny, and with the attorney, but none contacted me to discuss the compliance violations I claimed to have identified and the culture that I claimed supported those violations.  Instead, guided by the attorney’s advice to stay clear of me, they relied on explanations that Jenny provided.  They trusted Jenny.

At the start of April, the Governance Committee drafted new Articles of Incorporation for approval by the Board later in the month.  The revised Articles provided that the “liability of the directors of this Corporation for monetary damages for breach of fiduciary duty as a director shall be eliminated to the fullest extent permissible under California law.”  Although the insurance policy and California law already shielded them against threats like whistleblower suits, they were now triply protected as they moved forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment